I’m a recovering human. Like most, I’ve had my share of struggles. I’m thankful that the best and strongest influence in my recovery is Jesus Christ.
A few years ago I was running a men’s group and we tweaked the 12 steps of A.A. to fit spiritual things. The following is the outcome of our work together. I hope it finds a place in your spiritual tool box. If nothing else, print it and put it on your refrigerator door. It works best if you actually look up and read the scriptures. Trust me on that one.
THE TWELVE STEPS TO SPIRITUAL WHOLENESS
1. I admit that without Christ I am powerless over sin and that my life has become unmanageable. Eph. 2:3 Rom. 5:6 I Jn. 1:8 Rom. 8:3
2. I came to believe that God, who is greater than myself, could restore me to peace and righteousness. 2 Tim. 1:7 1 Jn. 4:4 Rom. 8:1 Job 9:4 Jer. 32:27 Gen. 28:15
3. I made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God
Prov. 3:5-6 Josh. 24:15 Lk. 14:27, 33 2 Thess. 3:3-5
4. I made a searching and honest spiritual inventory of myself.
Ps. 139:23-24 Ps. 51:17 Mt. 7:3 1 Sam. 16:7 Rom. 7:15
5. I admitted to God, to myself and to another human being my sins and my shortcomings. Js. 5:16 1 Jn. 1:8-9 Gal. 5:19-21
6. I am entirely ready to have God conform me to his likeness.
2 Cor. 3:18 Rom. 12:2
7. I humbly asked God to forgive my sin.
Mt. 6:12 Mk. 2:7 Col. 2:13 Lk. 18:9-14 1 Pet. 5:6
8. I will make a list and begin praying for those I have wronged or hurt by my sins.
Mt. 5:23-25 Eph. 4:26 Mt. 6:12-15 Mk. 11:25
9. Make direct amends to such people as I have wronged.
10. Continue to examine my life and be willing to recognize my wrong doing.
1 Cor. 11:28 Mt. 7:3-5 2 Cor. 13:5
11. Improve my relationship with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for me and the power to carry it out. Js. 5:16ff Rom. 12:2 1 Thess. 5:16-18
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, I try to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all facets of my life.
2 Cor. 3:18 Mt. 28:19-20 Jude 22-23 Col. 3:23 2 Peter 1: 3-10 Eph. 5:14